Table of Contents
When recommending devices, it must first be noted that all services offered by the HRZ are initially primarily geared towards operation with a Microsoft operating system. Increasingly, operating systems from Apple and the respective Linux distributions are also supported, but full functionality cannot always be guaranteed here.
Another good source of information for a recommendation is always the colleagues in the departments; they have a high level of expertise on the devices to be used and their performance for the respective application.
Furthermore, a distinction must be made between official and private procurement.
Business devices must be able to be automatically loaded with operating system and software, which restricts the choice of devices.
Dell framework contract
At present the Jade university is in a framework contract with the company Dell for notebooks, desktop computers and monitors.
The following standardized workstation PC series have been selected from the master agreement for departmental use:
- Stationary PCs: Dell OptiPlex 5 and 7 series.
- Mobile PCs: Dell Latitude series
These devices are fully supported by the HRZ.
You can get access to the devices and prices on the Websites of the company Dell.
- Click on “Login” → “Premier Login” in the upper right corner.
- Via “Shop” / “Standard configurations” the desired category (desktop/notebook/monitor…) can be selected.
- Via “Configuration and Order” details can then be selected and then placed in the shopping cart. This configuration can/should be saved as an “eQuote” for later use. An order can only be initiated by the HRZ as certain administrative regulations must be followed.
Basically, for a private procurement, the device type is decisive first.
- Desktop computer
- Stationary use
- Inexpensive entry-level devices to expensive professional devices
- Hardware extensions possible
- Very large performance spectrum
- Notebook Computer * Mobile use
- Mobile use
- Mid-priced entry level
- Hardware extensions only possible to a limited extent
- Limited performance spectrum
If you don't need/plan any hardware extensions for your PC you should choose a notebook computer today.
Select the following components:
- Processor (CPU)
- Intel CPUs, regarding AMD CPUs the HRZ has no experience
- No Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium or Xeon CPUs
- Mostly Intel Core i5 CPUs are sufficient, more powerful CPUs are only needed for local virtualization
- Memory (RAM)
- At least 8 GB RAM
- For notebooks, make sure there is another free RAM slot for possible extensions
- Hard disk (SSD)
- An SSD with PCI-Express interface (M.2 PCIe)
- Avoid SSD's with SATA interface
- Look for a good compromise between capacity and price
- Graphics card
- For standard office PCs an integrated (onboard) Intel HD Graphics graphics card
- For 3D applications and CAD an AMD Radeon RX or NVIDIA GeForce graphics card
- Prefer Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) capable devices
- Prefer Bluetooth 5.x enabled devices
- Do not go below the resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Check out the readability at very high resolutions themselves, e.g. colleagues & colleagues
- Glossy (glare)
- Optimal display quality, content appears particularly rich in contrast and detail
- Fingerprints or dust immediately visible
- Reflection, therefore poor readability in very bright environments / outdoors
- Matt (non-glare)
- Good display quality, contents appear rich in contrast and detail, but usually a bit darker
- Fingerprints or dust only faintly visible
- No reflection, therefore good readability in very bright surroundings / outdoors
- Free-standing displays should not be procured smaller than 24 inches
- Notebook displays should not be procured smaller than 13 inches
- Aspect ratio should be 16:9, 16:10 or 21:9.
- For a free-standing display, they should consider a curved display from a diagonal of 30''.
As a rule, they should prefer devices with matte, low-reflection and thus non-glare displays.
- Opt for Microsoft Windows 10 Professional due to its improved data protection. Avoid Microsoft Windows 10 Home, here the transmission of telemetry data to Microsoft can not be contradicted.
- Prefer a keyboard with a backlight for notebooks.
- Avoid devices that have been on the market for longer than 2 years.